Wednesday, May 7, 2008

MOVIE: P.S. I LOVE YOU



about: P.S. I Love You is a 2007 film directed by Richard LaGravenese and starring Hilary Swank and Gerard Butler. It is based on the novel by Cecelia Ahern.

Holly Kennedy (Swank) and her charming Irish husband Gerry (Gerard Butler) are a young couple struggling to get by in New York City. Their marriage is 10 years strong, and they are madly in love, but the fates soon step in, when Gerry develops cancer and dies. Holly is completely devastated, and her friends Denise (Lisa Kudrow) and Sharon (Gina Gershon) do their best to console her. Her mother (Kathy Bates) and sister, Rose (Nellie Mckay), also offer their support, but it seems nothing can pull Holly out of her grief. Then one day, she begins to receive love letters Gerry penned before his death. The letters are filled with various stories and instructions, and one of them even contains a plan that sends her and her friends on a trip to Ireland. As Gerry's posthumous letters buoy her up, Holly slowly begins to piece her life back together. His letters help her to celebrate their special love story, and remind her that she must continue to live her life, and seek out happiness.




my review: I had no plans on seeing this film whatsoever but I think because I saw so many ads for this movie it was as if I was brainwashed into seeing it. Which was probably the filmmakers' intention because why would anyone want to see this film because they actually want to. Women will see it because it is a romantic comedy and men will see it because their woman will be seeing it.

It starts off good with Swank and Butler having a fun time acting in a romantic comedy (which is a change of pace for both of them) but then the letters start coming and the more they come, the worst the movie gets. Swank gets worse too. I think she is a great actress but comedy does not fit her well. She needs to stick to her day job of playing in heavily dramatic movies where she plays a part that will get her an Oscar nomination or a win. I just found out that for her next role she will be playing Amelia Earhart in a movie based on her life. I guess she was way ahead of me.

What saves this movie from being a complete waste of my time is Harry Connick Jr. and Lisa Kudrow. Their two characters provide most of the comic relief of the movie when it needs it. Connick achieves what Swank cannot by being great in a comedic role while being great as a serious actor as well. His character is so unique and funny that I wish he could have his own movie instead of being in this crap. Kudrow is also great as always and she also has no business being in it at all either. Maybe her and Connick can take these two characters and make their own movie, "P.S. I Love That There Isn't Going To Be a Sequel".


my rating: 4 out of 10


download "p.s. i love you" for free using bittorrent
buy "p.s. i love you" from agio-shop for only $5.99

No comments:

Apple iTunes
Apple iTunes